UP College of MEDICINE & PGH "Wish List"

Home Forums BOG Winter 2020 e-Meeting UP College of MEDICINE & PGH "Wish List"

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Henry Echiverri 1 month ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Henry Echiverri
    Keymaster

May I ask our President to expound from her meeting with the Dean last December?

H Echiverri
    BOG

Henry Echiverri
    Keymaster

Besides the Pediatric Department Wish list, the following also came up
    1) Request from Anatomy Department to help obtain the Virtual Microscopy and Slide Scanner. I believe Phi Lambda Delta is helping this too?

2) Cadaver Freezer. None functioning. There you go Dr Besa, there are no autopsies partly because there are no freezers (sometimes we have to look at the bigger picture)

3) Request that a Work Collaboration board be established at the UPMASA side to facilitate Scholarship management (similar to fleet management software for transport systems). This will make management of scholarships more transparent also.

Am I missing something else?

Henry Echiverri
    BOG Chair

Interested to see this list and bring to our classmates (’91) when discussing projects for 30th anniv.

Papat

Silverio Cabellon
    Participant

Mr. Chairman,

May I inquire how a virtual microscope is different from a real microscope?

Silverio Cabellon, Jr., MD

Please see what I wrote regarding the HIV report from Dr. Salvana.
    The big probelem with our HIV epidemic is the high rate of mutations they see. New mutation = Drug resistance.
    I understand that these mutations are originating from our area (disclaimer: unsure if area means RP only or SE Asia as a whole) and the HIV experts are seeing same mutated strains now in the more developed countries like US and Canada.
    This is very alarming.

Silverio Cabellon
    Participant

Mr. Chairman,

I move that UPMASA request Dr. Pio Villarcorta to submit a grant request for the Slide Digital Scanner in support of the teaching of history and pathology using virtual microscopy to the Project Coordination Committee for vetting.

Silverio Cabellon, Jr., MD

Mr. Chairman,
    Can we 1st verify that the PLD sorority is not sponsoring this Virtual Microscopy project? I have seen a lot of donations coming from them towards this Virtual Teaching projects by the Dean. I would like to ask Dr. Jess Socrates if an application has been submitted to him regarding this project.

Henry Echiverri
    Keymaster

Dr. Cabellon has a motion that states: UPMASA request Dr. Pio Villarcorta to submit a grant request for the Slide Digital Scanner in support of the teaching of histology and pathology using virtual microscopy to the Project Coordination Committee for vetting.

Any second and any discussion?
    Maybe our President-Elect Dr. Lou Publico can verify whether the Phi Lambda Delta Sorority is supporting the same project? The virtual Anatomy or the Virtual Microscopy and slide scanner.

BTW, re-attaching the supporting documents sent by Dr. Rowena Genuino on the VM

Henry Echiverri

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Henry Echiverri
    Keymaster

Regarding the PEDIATRIC Department WISH LIST (BTW, I retitled this Agenda as UPCM and PGH wishlist)

Dr Gap Lepaspi: The Pediatric Department has a budget but the problem with durable goods is always the BIDDING process. The bureacratic process takes a long time and if UPMASA decides to give these items in the wishlist, the budget gets reallocated to the same Department but for other needs such as medications which do not need bidding.

I am waiting for answers from Dr. Pio Villacorta, Dr Tanchuco, Dr. Chiong regarding other BOG queries.

We will repeat the list in here and if there are any CHAPTERs or Individuals/Groups looking to sponsor something, consider some items on the list for “ADOPTION”
    (list coming up – I am at work and hard to download)

Henry Echiverri
    BOG Chair

Henry Echiverri
    Keymaster

Regarding the PEDIATRIC Department WISH LIST (BTW, I retitled this Agenda as UPCM and PGH wishlist)

Dr Gap Lepaspi: The Pediatric Department has a budget but the problem with durable goods is always the BIDDING process. The bureacratic process takes a long time and if UPMASA decides to give these items in the wishlist, the budget gets reallocated to the same Department but for other needs such as medications which do not need bidding.

I am waiting for answers from Dr. Pio Villacorta, Dr Tanchuco, Dr. Chiong regarding other BOG queries.

We will repeat the list in here and if there are any CHAPTERs or Individuals/Groups looking to sponsor something, consider some items on the list for “ADOPTION”
    (list coming up – I am at work and hard to download)

Henry Echiverri
    BOG Chair

BTW, the Pediatric wish list contains items both expensive and not so expensive. If any chapter or class is interested in picking up any item, I do have the projected prices on the list given to me by Dr Lorna Abad Ramos. She is from class 80, my co resident at PGH during my taining in the last century.

Susan, class ’79

Mr. Chairman,
    May I remind everyone (again): any Chapter willing to pick up any of the items in the Wish list, must inform the PCC & Finance Com so that there will be coordination of efforts and proper acknowledgement from the different Depts of the donations ( whether in cash or in kind) with DOCUMENTS required by the the external Auditor, in compliance with IRS rules & regulations.

In the past, we did not allow duplication of sponsorships of projects. This practice became so notorious that the same Dept would request different Chapters to donate the same things. No annual reports were given, no accounting of the monies sent. National UPMASA was unaware of which Chapter gave what to which Dept. This is why the Project Coordination Committee was created- TO MONITOR ALL THE DONATIONS GIVEN TO THE DIFFERENT DEPTS IN PGH OR UPCM & for them to account for all the money received with a liquidation report accompanied by Sales Receipts.

Let us ALL BEWARE OF THIS ABUSE OF our willingness to help UPCM & PGH. If there is no proper accounting from their part, graft & corruption can be abetted. We can be cited by the IRS & lose our 501c3 status.

Henry Echiverri
    Keymaster

Please make note of the advice of our Finance Chair. Accountability is critical and it should be made clear to the recipients that they are responsible for this end. Should there be an automatic MOA given and signed by all recipients of UPMASA donations?

To recap:
    A. Pediatric Wish List.
    Some items are up for Adoption by class, individuals, groups or Chapters. If chosen, please go through the process of PCC submission. It is really easy

for the more expensive ones, we can instruct a “Champion” person from the Department of Pediatrics to go through the PCC process (ie: request for monitors, etc)

B. Regarding Virtual Microscopy and Slide scanner – Department of Anatomy.
    1. We need verification from Phi Lambda Delta whether they are sponsoring this project or is it the Virtual Anatomy Dissection of Dean Chiong
    2. Per Dr. Cabellon: request Dr. Pio Villarcorta to submit a grant request for the Slide Digital Scanner in support of the teaching of history and pathology using virtual microscopy to the Project Coordination Committee for vetting.

C. CADAVER Freezer: To encourage an increase in Autopsy rates

I believe this “thread” is more or less an FYI discussion. All the items in this “wish List” is available through the PRESIDENT’s REPORT which is in the NEWS and EVENTS portion of our WEBSITE.
    I would like the Presidents of chapters to disseminate this among their constituents.

Henry Echiverri
    BOG Chair

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.