Henry Echiverri

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: 2020 Winter e-meeting BOG recap #7276

    Henry Echiverri
    Keymaster

    Thank you very much, Dr. Cabellon, for the compliments. It is with pleasure that I serve UPMASA. If there are no other pressing matters, it is 3:09 PM in the west coast and I will keep the threads open for those who were late, and by general consensus and agreement, our e-meeting concludes midnight Pacific Standard time, I would like to adjourn the meeting so we can all attend to our own individual needs.

    Maraming maraming solamat. I will reopen threads for an opportunity of others who were busy to attend the meeting to give their last minutes 2 cents worth (remember: only 2 cents worth, let us all be nice).

    Henry Echiverri
    BOG, Chair

    in reply to: Appointment of Chair of the Ad Hoc Committee on Elections #7243

    Henry Echiverri
    Keymaster

    Because of personal constraints and time, our President is attending to family matters, she has this in mind and will be creating and naming the committee chair at the Spring Face to face meeting.

    Henry Echiverri
    BOG Chair

    in reply to: Medical Science Building Update #7236

    Henry Echiverri
    Keymaster

    Dr. Gopichand sent me this email that he was cc’d from Dr. Rody Sy:
    Dear Dr. Lorenzo and Billy,

    Construction of our Medical Sciences Building started in late July 2019 with bored piling work done by Advanced Construction Co. with more than 30 bored piles to be installed going 40-50 meters deep. They had to stop temporarily on the last row of 6 or 7 piles due to the presence of high tension electric wires close to the line of work. We have to wait for Meralco to relocate several electric posts to transfer the high tension wires, which was eventually completed in September. Cutting off electricity in the old set of wires and energizing the new set of wires needed coordination with PGH as power had to be cut off to the hospital temporarily for ~ 8 hrs. This work had to be scheduled on a Sunday to reduce interruption to hospital operations. Unfortunately, on 3 succeeding weekends, the PGH generator did not function properly. We eventually had to rent a high capacity generator to finally get the work done on Nov 10. At this time, Advanced Construction Co. had completed the piling work and are now clearing the area and removing their heavy equipment. W. Dionisio’s group is set to bring in their equipment to do excavation work with sheet pile protection for our water reservoir and sewage treatment plan. This will continue till end of January 2020 after which DMCI will finally come in with the major construction work. DMCI promised to have substantial completion by Dec 2020 in time for our homecoming activities then.

    UPMAFI is still accepting donations at this time. In case we do have excess funds, it will be kept for future maintenance of the building.

    Best regards,
    Rody

    in reply to: Appointment of Chair of the Ad Hoc Committee on Elections #7224

    Henry Echiverri
    Keymaster

    On a serious note, may I paste (and upload for your printing) the COMELEC report of Chair Dr. Offie Bernabe and Vice-chair Patricia Malabuyo-Ilagan submitted last 2019 AGC BOG meeting. It can serve as a guide for this Adhoc Committee on Elections.
    AD HOC COMELEC REPORT
    JULY 3, 2019

    POSITION – NAME EMAIL ADDRESS TELEPHONE NUMBER
    Chairman: Ofelia Madrid-Bernabe, MD ’65 obernabe@msn.com (914) 907-8294
    Vice-Chair: Patricia Malabuyo-Ilagan, MD ‘91 patilaganmd@gmail.com (321) 947-7128
    Member: Armyn Ann Carbonell, MD ‘92 armyncarbonell@gmail.com
    (559) 901-5222
    Internet Services: Henry Echiverri, MD ‘81 hecheverrimd@gmail.com
    (630) 899-9469
    UPMASA Secretariat: Pearl G. Ontalan Rejoicepearl9@gmail.com
    (973)906-9410
    Representative for President-Elect Lourdes Publico: Silverio Cabellon, MD ‘72A scabellonjr@gmail.com
    (240) 505-6665

    For the first time, the organization underwent a combined paper and electronic election.
     On April 15, 2019, the National UPMASA Secretariat mailed via US postal services 1,157 paper ballots to qualified members. Out of these, there were 377 valid ballots returned for counting.
     The Internet Services Committee (ISC) generated a total of 239 online ballots in 3 installments starting on April 15 also. Out of 239, 185 responded and voted online.
     Both methods of voting closed on May 31, 2019.

    The Comelec encountered many difficulties on the way. The entire election process hinges on the fact that our directory/database should have the most updated information particularly both postal and email addresses and date of last membership payment. This last information can be obtained from the National Treasurer. Updated digital and postal addresses for each member was provided by the Secretariat because she maintains the database current at all times.

    ISSUES:
    1. No updated/or non-active email address, members with multiple physical home or email addresses, 2 members/or a spouse sharing one email address.

    2. Members forgetting that they opted to vote ONLINE instead of getting paper ballots.

    3. Members changing their minds and wanting/insisting to vote online instead of the paper ballots they have received.

    4. Members recognizing that the online ballot is from Survey Monkey (instead of UPMASA), is not in their electronic Inbox but should be searched in their computer for Spam or Junk folder.

    5. Members not following instructions for mailing a paper ballot (one member incorrectly mailed his ballot to AGC registration c/o Caroline Pinder).

    6. Changing deadlines, the Comelec and the BOG should set a firm date on when “Eligibility to Vote” is considered. This could also be used as the last date to pay one’s annual dues for the year to make an applicant a current-dues paid member. This date should be firm every year so that the members will know this by heart to disseminate to their non-member classmates. Whether it is an election year or not, it is advised that this date be set as default in our calendar to be used for other housekeeping duties of the various chapters and committees.

    7. For this year’s election alone and to help us solve confusion, COMELEC decided to set the date of April 30, 2019, as the last date to pay annual membership dues to be eligible to vote. This gave the Membership Committee time to verify one’s alumnus status, either from the UPCM administration or from our class directories. Since all transmissions/transactions that happen online are in split seconds, there will be enough time for the national treasury and the ISC to generate an electronic ballot for the new paid members and for them to vote back.

    The second date that we used is to stick to May 30 only for online voters to send their votes in for similar reasons above. May 31 is still the default for the postal marked ballots to be returned to UPMASA.

    PROS observed:
    Electronic Voting is easy and simple, secure and safe, and most of all cheaper for UPMASA. It requires no printing, no paper and the postal mailing cost (stamps) is zero. At ballot counting, it will be easier, cost contained (hotel venue), easier and efficient, will require less manpower to do.

    Encouraging some of our senior members to do ONLINE voting is an advantage, especially for retirees who are winter birds and may have 2 different postal addresses depending on where they are during the season.

    We realize that we cannot compel everyone to do e-voting, so we still have to offer paper ballots as an option. However, we think that over time, we feel that most should be able to adapt to online voting.

    CONS predicted:
    This is a new process and requires continued education and information from the members and the officers alike. It requires updated postal and digital information of each member which the Membership Committee and Secretariat can provide.

    CONCLUSION:

    1. We recommend electronic voting to take the place of paper voting for future elections.

    2. The membership should be reminded multiple times (at AGC events especially business meetings and CME’s) by multiple people (ISC chair email blasts, chapter presidents during chapter meetings) to keep one’s information current. Registration desks in all UPMASA venues can ask for a member to fill out a reminder updating form to be collected and sent to the Membership Committee.

    3. We ask the ISC to continue sending an email survey/announcement/blast by January 31 of an election year about the upcoming electronic ballot and to update Membership Committee regarding changes in email and postal mail addresses. This gives time for the Secretariat to update the mailing list for paper ballots on time for the April 15 send out of both electronic and paper ballots.

    4. We have a question here for everyone: DO YOU THINK, we should invert our “default” setting going forward as ONLINE BALLOTS and members have to actively choose paper ballots on the ISC survey instead of vice versa this year since it was our first year to do the electronic voting? Please give the COMELEC your feedback.

    Jointly submitted by:

    Ofelia M. Bernabe MD, COMELEC Chair
    Patricia M. Ilagan, MD, COMELEC Vice-Chair
    June 7, 2019

    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    in reply to: Appointment of Chair of the Ad Hoc Committee on Elections #7223

    Henry Echiverri
    Keymaster

    Dear BOG:

    Because of time and personal constraints, our president is aware of and considering her options. the importance of having the Ad Hoc Committee now instead of convening it later is very important.

    Thank you for anticipating this issue, Dr. Cabellon. You are like a chessplayer, anticipating the next moves far in advance! Do you play Chess? Susan and I (and our family) take the game seriously, over San Miguel and pulutan sometimes. My niece, an International Master, is married to Levon Aronian (#2 in the World).

    Henry Echiverri
    BOG Chair

    in reply to: Internet Services Committee Report #7195

    Henry Echiverri
    Keymaster

    Dear Gerry:

    Our counterpart at the UPCM actually brought up the idea of a Work Collaboration software to take care of the Scholarship tracking. If time permits, we can request Visionfriendly.com to demonstrate Gravity Flow during our Workshop in April. Dr. Henry Ty and I, can work on this. They are based in Chicago.

    Henry Echiverri

    in reply to: BOG Decisions Compilation #7194

    Henry Echiverri
    Keymaster

    Thank everyone for your attention on this worthy Project, hopefully once Dr. Cabellon and myself complete the compilation, we can then publish this on the Website as part of the References.

    H Echiverri
    BOG chair

    in reply to: CHAPTER Reports #7191

    Henry Echiverri
    Keymaster

    Thank you, Dr. Sy, for the update.

    Henry Echiverri
    BOG Chair

    in reply to: Medical Science Building Update #7190

    Henry Echiverri
    Keymaster

    I have been texted by the Chair of the adhoc committee on the Medical Science Building that there have been no major movements to report.

    ON the ED VA Lim PEF FUND of which $100,000 is being converted into the Medical Science Building restricted PEF Maintenance Fund, where there is an agreement of 5% of its earning be given to UPMAF once the MOA and DOD are signed, to be done yearly in perpetuity. Our President and yours truly had a breakfast meeting with Dr. Rody Sy and Dr. Agnes Mejia last December drawing up the MOA. Modifications were agreed upon and the revised draft has been sent to me and approved for signing. At this point, both documents have not been signed by Dr. Ed VA Lim. I will be following up with Drs. Ed Lim, Rody Sy and Agnes Mejia on this and will hopefully close this matter before the Spring BOG meeting.

    Henry Echiverri
    BOG, CHAIR

    in reply to: DISASTER RELIEF WORKFLOW #7189

    Henry Echiverri
    Keymaster

    I believe we can close this topic and move on. We have a disaster relief P&P in place.

    May I request our President, Finance Chair and perhaps Dr. Cabellon to write up an MOA with at least Ugnayan ng Pahinungod so we can bring it to the Medical Mission next week for signing.

    Henry Echiverri
    BOG Chair

    in reply to: Southern Illinois -Missouri (St. Louis) Chapter #7163

    Henry Echiverri
    Keymaster

    Good luck Buddy, hoping for a good report.

    Henry Echiverri
    BOG Chair

    in reply to: Post Grad Education and Faculty Development: P&P Changes #7162

    Henry Echiverri
    Keymaster

    Comment on Dr. Ortega-Jongco duly noted. Chairman PGEFD to take note.
    We will be closing this thread tonight midnight

    HCE
    BOG, CHAIR

    in reply to: DISASTER RELIEF WORKFLOW #7151

    Henry Echiverri
    Keymaster

    OK, the P&P Proposal of Dr. Cabellon passes. I will restate it and ask everyone to take time to read. I restate Dr. Pinder’s modification of #6 item which is not controversial. We can then reply if you agree or not.

    DISASTER RELIEF Policies and Procedures:

    1. The Chair of the Medical Missions Committee and/or the President of UPMASA is responsible for the support of relief efforts from disasters.
    2. Their contact information including email and telephone number shall be published on the UPMASA website.
    3. The Chair of the Medical Missions Committee and/or the President of UPMASA shall anticipate the possibility of responding to disasters when a disaster is predictable, such as a severe typhoon, possible volcanic eruption or an epidemic.
    4. The Executive Committee shall meet in an emergency session to determine what kind of relief should be rendered depending on the nature of the disaster.
    5. The Executive Committee shall determine how the information will be disseminated to its members and other organizations; what can be donated; and how the donations can be forwarded.
    6. In the Philippines, the Ugnayan ng Pahinungod shall be the primary recipient of relief whether it is monetary or material in nature.
    7. Application for release of funds shall be instigated by the Chair of Medical Missions and confirmed by the recipient.
    8. This documentation will be coordinated by the Chair of the Project Coordination Committee. A contract will be forwarded to the recipient requiring them to submit later an accounting on where the money was spent.
    9. The release of funds shall be coordinated by the National Treasurer taking to account procedures conducive to the interest of UPMASA
    10. UPMASA shall maintain a Disaster Relief Fund not to be less than $5000 which can be used for emergency use.

    Dr. Pinder #6 should be edited to state:
    UPMASA shall enter into an agreement or an MOA with a recognized organization such as the Ugnayan Ng Pahinungod or other vetted non-government organizations and its Director to administer the funds donated by UPMASA for the relief from the disaster. The Director/Administrator shall be responsible to give a report, including a liquidation report with accompanying documentation, such as Sales Receipts and Invoices.

    I need you to agree or not agree.

    Henry Echiverri
    BOG CHAIR

    in reply to: Internet Services Committee Report #7150

    Henry Echiverri
    Keymaster

    Dear Dr. Pinder:

    Having a workflow Software does not mean we do the work. Gravity Software is a Work collaboration plug in. The vetting of scholars can still happen at the College of Medicine by the appropriate group, then they enter the NAMES of the chosen Scholars into the workflow with dates of commencement and expiration. From our end (Henry Co) he can see these as they happen. If he has a question about a particular scholar, he can then type in the query under that file and sent back to be answered by anyone in the work collaboration platform. The students can also enter their file and upload a letter of thank you or others. The treasurer can use it to track down who got their funds. IF a scholar gets sick and goes on leave of absence, it will be noted there. Once they graduate, treasurers can easily see it and stop further payment. Any of the GREEK organization can put their scholars in it once they vet it. The flow will depend on how we put it on paper.

    For Dr Cabellon:

    yes, Gravity workflow works like TRELLO if you every used it. I use it for my personal tracking of things I need to do.

    Dr Henry Echiverri
    BOG Chair

    in reply to: Membership Committee Report #7149

    Henry Echiverri
    Keymaster

    To the Chairpersons of the Membership Committee:
    …deadline for the payment of dues on a given ELECTION YEar, to be eligible to vote?

    Do we have an answer? In your report of annual members yearly payment for 4 consecutive years, who lapse, you gave a grace period up to March 31 to pay. For election year, you mentioned possibly April 30 to pay annual dues. Can we make these 2 dates the same in order to not get confused?

    Dr. H. Echiverri

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 91 total)