A team of medical and engineering experts was able to complete the prototype OstreaVent for adults (OstreaVent II) in a record time of 5 weeks. The OstreaVent II is a pressure or volume limited, time cycled ventilator with Positive End Expiratory Pressure Ventilation (PEEP), Continuous Positive Airway Pressure Ventilation (CPAP) and Biphasic Positive Airways Pressure mode (BiPAP). The normal range of tidal volume (TV) is 100-600 mL, peak pressure (PIP) up to 60 cm H2O and PEEP/CPAP of 0-20 cm H2O. It can operate on 220 to 240 V, 50/60 Hz and can also run on 12- volt battery during power loss or patient transfer. One of the unique features of the OstreaVent II is its ability to monitor the performance of batches of 1500 real time breaths, in Excel format, from its USB port. The OstreaVent II will undergo government testing for performance, functionality and safety before clinical testing with patients needing ventilatory support. The team members are:
1. Dr. Enrique Ostrea Jr. – neonatologist, UPPGH, UPNIH and Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, USA, inventor of the OstreaVent for infants
2. Dr. Esterlita Villlanueva-Uy – neonatologist, UPPGH, UPNIH and UP College of Medicine
3. Dr. Herbert Uy – pediatric intensivist, UPPGH and UP College of Medicine
4. Dr. Vincent Faustino – pediatric intensivist, Yale University Hospital and School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
5. Dr. Manuel Peter Paul Jorge – adult pulmonologist and former Chief of Medicine, UPPGH and UP College of Medicine
7. Dr. Kris Tan – adult pulmonologist, UPPGH and UP College of Medicine
8. Professor Robert Dizon – electrical engineer, Director of Metals Industry Research and Development Center, DOST and Asst. Secretary, DOST. Prof. Dizon developed the electronic controller of the OstreaVent for infants.
9. Professor Alexander Paran, PhD – mechanical engineer, former Professor, UP College of Mechanical Engineering. Dr. Paran was part of the engineering team that developed the OstreaVent for infants.
OstreaVent team (top photo): Dr. Jun Jorge, Prof. Bob Dizon, Dr. Vince Faustino, Dr. Kris Tan, Dr. Tita Villanueva-Uy and Dr. Ostrea. Not in photo are Dr. Alex Paran and Dr. Herbie Uy. In the lower group photo, the OstreaVent (white) and OstreaVent II prototype being tested in the UPPGH Pulmonary lab.
OstreaVent II main screen showing the bar graph display of PIP, Tidal volume and PEEP, alarm limits and pressure, volume and oxygen flow waveforms.